Thursday, March 3, 2016

Unbridled Enthusiasm

I had the opportunity to walk with Mason at a golf tournament this past Sunday. I think it's one of my favorite things to do with him right now. I get to walk alongside him for 4+ hours, he is doing what he loves, and he still seems glad to have me there at the end. The tournament was in Washougal - conditions weren't ideal, wind, rain and the occasional sun break. After playing in tournaments all winter, we finally have our system down. I wear my 20 layers and he brings a jacket.

Mason's front nine was the round of his life. He couldn't miss a putt. It was amazing. He usually finishes in the middle of the pack - which is great. But, after 9 he was in second place and first was well within his reach. His enthusiasm is contagious. Mason has always been something of an open book. If he isn't telling you exactly how he feels, he is fist pumping, laughing, smiling, jumping up and down and sprinting. He may be the only kid I have seen sprint on the golf course.

As you may imagine, maintaining this enthusiasm while playing the very focused game of golf don't always go hand in hand. He was able to maintain his position until about hole 14. I felt I could almost see him mentally adding up his score and what he needed to do each hole to win. It seems to me that once you get distracted in golf, it becomes very hard to get that small ball in the hole - and that's what happened with Mason. His excitement and nerves made it very hard to finish out each hole as well. He was still smiling and sprinting on hole 18 but he had fallen several spots.

My friend asked me during the tournament if I would rather have a "too excited" kid or the stressed but focused kid who is able to finish strong. Easy. I pick too excited kid EVERY TIME. This will work out for Mason. He played the best 14 holes of golf he has ever played. He will eventually figure out how to keep his excitement and possibly his energy in check to be able to maintain for 18.

I talk partial responsibility for Mason's "too much." Although not much of a fist pumper or jumper, I am "too much" of a lot of things....too introspective, too careful, too sensitive. Just this week at work I am pretty sure my heart broke wide open from a patient who was reaching the end of his journey and one that was trying to make her story longer. They cried, I cried, and I am going to have to figure out how to sew myself up before I go back to work Saturday. Even though the emotions feel like they can get in the way at times, I still pick too excited and too sensitive every time. I believe that's where the joy is. So, I look forward to the next tournament with my too excited kid and will enjoy every fist pump along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment