Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Girl Power


A few years back when my kids were smaller, I was jogging with them both in the stroller and I had my dog in tow. I am sure I was sweating profusely and moving very slowly. A woman in a very large truck drove by, leaned out her window and yelled “Girls really can do it all.” I gave her a little girl power fist pump in the air with the last bit of energy I had and we had a moment of girl solidarity.  I have similar moments when I am trying to run up this very high hill in Sherwood. When I think I cannot put one more foot forward, I turn my iTunes to Beyoncé and listen to a little “Girls Run the World.” Beyoncé and I, we have a little girl solidarity moment as I get to the top where the view is truly spectacular.

As a disclaimer, I don’t really believe that girls, on their own, rule the world. I am fortunate enough to have Michael as well as some great guy friends who are supportive and encouraging. But today, in honor of Mother’s Day, I pay tribute to the ladies.

I have always said that it takes a village to raise my children. This is still the case. This journey is HARD. Usually it is good hard, but hard nonetheless. And let’s get one thing straight – it is hard whether you are a working momma or a stay at home momma. I have never understood that debate. I have been both and both are challenging – for different reasons. So, let’s put that issue to rest and agree that this is one tough gig. I think the only way to make motherhood easier is to decide not to care about character, safety, manners, rules, friends, and morals. I imagine then it would be easier for a short bit but after a few years you probably would have some delinquents on your hands which might be a whole different problem. 

I am lucky enough to have some pretty awesome, strong, amazing women in my life who hold me up and walk with me on this journey. Birthing these two remarkable, crazy beings was way easier than raising them. Every phase and age offer new, exciting and terrifying challenges. I don’t know what I am doing more than half the time. That’s pretty scary. Often at work I feel like I am unsure what I am doing but not HALF the time. If I felt like that half the time, I am quite certain most of my patient’s wouldn’t make it out those doors.

I mess up a lot. I say the wrong thing. I giggle when I am supposed to be disciplining. I yell. I get some right and a lot wrong. BUT I am fortunate enough to have friends who encourage me. They reassure me that their kid has picked his nose during a music concert too or shouted out in class or hurt another kid’s feelings. They tell me I will be okay and to keep going. I had a friend cry when I told her about Audrey’s struggles at school. Cry for my heart and Audrey’s heart. Now, that is a friend who is walking through it with you. I am one lucky duck to have a whole stinkin’ choir of Beyoncés telling me I can make it up that seemingly impossible hill.

You know the amazing thing? Not all these women in my life are mommas. Some just love me and my kids enough that they can relate and encourage me on my own journey. I am blessed to have one such friend who is on my kid’s emergency contact list at school. She is the ONLY one who has special permission to break into my house and wake me up if I am sleeping off the night shift and there is an emergency with my kiddos. I know she would do ANYTHING for me or my kids and so this Mother’s Day, I celebrate her too. All of these women together help me to be a better mother. 

I don’t know what your Mother’s Day has in store. For me, I am camp nurse at Creekside, a Young Life camp in Antelope, for Michael’s work group who helped design the camp. I think it will be a hoot and I will remind everyone not to bleed or need me on Sunday because it is my day. It is my day and a day for all the women who helped me make it this far. Cheers to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment