Sunday, August 18, 2019

Health Check

I went to the dentist last month. I had a hygienist I haven't had before. She looked in my mouth for awhile..too long. I braced myself for what might come next. Then she says "did you know you are a teeth clencher? You are doing a lot of damage in here. You should really consider a night guard while you sleep." Um...no, I didn't know I was a teeth clencher but, and I told her this, I don't find this surprising. I have been a little stressed. We proceeded with the appointment and she gave me the $500 estimate for the night guard. I looked at her and said, "can't I just work on my stress instead? It might be cheaper." She kind of laughed not knowing what to say to me. Thar's okay. Happens to me. I can be a little awkward. I was aware of my stress but not doing much about it. Summer has been so full -camps, new job, golf, colleges, dead car, etc. Just getting by it seems like -  which is a phrase I don't like saying or living.

I was forced to slow down and evaluate life  this past week when I found myself needing to apologize to two different people I care about for how I had responded to various situations. In both cases, I had been quick to anger and had not respond appropriately, or graciously...at all. Both friends graciously accepted my apologies and, good conversations ensued. That's what I love about the people around me...the willingness to talk through hard feelings and come out more understanding friends on the other side.

These interactions and the teeth clenching, in addition to some other situations this summer, have gotten me to thinking more about my own mental health. Mason ran out and got the paper yesterday morning and we finally had a bit of a slower morning (probably because he was sick. He's not one to slow down much).There was an article about the prevalence of mental health issues in the workplace and how they aren't being addressed properly. I believe the statistic was 1 in 5 people in the United States have a mental health diagnosis. The most common ones, anxiety and depression. I don't find this statistic surprising. In nursing, it is very common for patients to be admitted for a medical diagnosis but they also have a mental health issue on their problem list. I remember enjoying my psych rotation in nursing school but deciding that there is enough psych on regular nursing floors to meet my interest. Another sad reality? There is often at least one individual, if not more, each day being held in the local emergency departments because they came in for suicidal ideation. They can not be released until they have an appropriate safety plan in place which may involve going home or finding a bed at an inpatient psych facility.

So, why do I mention this? Because I know how important mental health is. I know this. I see it in my work and I see it in my life outside of work. I have people close to me that have struggled with depression. I have been told by a trained professional that I have anxiety. I am a functional anxious person. I am not on medication but I do not judge those that are. Everyone has their own story, own path. I do not know if I will need medication in the future. I know for now what I need to do to be healthy and cope well with stressors in my life. And after those two regrettable interactions this past week, I realized I am not doing most of them.

My counselor knows I run to help my stress and anxiety. She suggested I up my mileage this summer. For me, managing stress involves running, hiking, gardening, reading, writing, time with the people I feel most seen and heard by, and some time by myself. My work takes a ton of my emotional and physical energy - a combination of the nature of the job as well as being new to oncology and hematology. So it is even more important right now that I am doing those things that I know recharge me. Everyone has different things that recenter them. Mason seems to be recentered on the golf course. Audrey actually NEEDS to be around people for recharging. This boggles my mind BUT I know it's true for her and others.

So, in hopes of managing my teeth clenching and my stress, I am looking at my calendar and making sure I get more hiking, digging and being quiet back on there. Being healthy mentally is too important to not take it seriously. I tell this to my kids too. I reiterated to both of them this week that I am always here to talk to...about anything. And, if they are uncomfortable talking to me, I can get them connected with other resources. And if they have a friend that needs help..let's talk about it. It is too important. So here's to keeping friendships intact and staying away from night guards.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I have a night guard. same diagnosis, same dentist.

    ReplyDelete