Saturday, January 7, 2012

No Trauma Mama


I looked at Michael in a panic after starting this writing project and exclaimed “maybe that was all I had to say!” He looked at me and said, “yeah, maybe.” I may have caught a smirk on his face when he said it…but, he’s good. He has lived with me for almost 18 years and he knows as well as I do that I use more than my allotted 7000 words a day. I am quite sure that Michael doesn’t use his 2000 so often I will borrow some from him. Needless to say, more words came to me.

I had to go to a class this week for work. One of the speakers was a trauma nurse. I love trauma nurses. I could never be one. I am not an adrenaline junkie and I think you have to be one to work in trauma. I don’t want some guy walking in with a knife in his abdomen. He can come see me after the knife is removed but, until then, the trauma nurses are welcome to him.
This trauma nurse, she was no nonsense. The few trauma nurses I have met are all business and seem to have a dry sense of humor. But, think about it…you want your trauma nurse to be no nonsense. If you are in the trauma department you are in BAD SHAPE. You don’t need someone offering you a warm blanket, asking you when your last bowel movement was and offering you a Tylenol. You want someone who doesn’t beat around the bush, is willing to throw the gloves on, get on top of your chest and start pumping like crazy. That’s what I want. I wouldn’t want to see me until about day 10 of my hospital stay. The best advice she gave us “non-trauma” nurses yesterday: “if you don’t remember anything else that I tell you remember this: plug the hole. You see blood, you plug the hole with one hand and you call for help with the other.” Okay trauma lady, I can do that.

Happy Weekend. I hope it is trauma-free.

1 comment:

  1. Such fun! I've always looked forward to your holiday letters, now I can enjoy your clever writing often! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete