Sunday, January 8, 2017

Am I Reading the Wrong Map?

I love reading Glennon Doyle Melton's books, blog and posts. She often speaks truths I feel but

1. am not sure I am daring enough to speak and
2. I wouldn't look half as good doing it.

She is funny, honest, kind and is using her superpowers for so much good. The other day she posted the following quote: "The place where you are right now, God circled on the map for you" - Hafiz. I loved the quote but was a little skeptical that Hafiz is a real person. What a name. So, I looked him up. Turns out he was a Perisian poet.

Authenticity now settled, I was thinking about that quote earlier today and wondering if God and I are reading the same map sometimes. Really....this, right now? Are you sure? What type of map are we looking at? Geographical? The food groups? Am I looking at what I am supposed to? Because SOMETIMES I'm not sure we are looking at the same thing.

I started this year strong - I know, it's only January 8 but how long can I keep this momentum up? I don't make resolutions generally. I feel like I am a continual work in progress and make commitments all through the year so making new ones on January 1 doesn't hold much significance for me. The first week of January was pretty good. I got some new wireless earbuds for Christmas that I LOVE. I'm not running faster or farther but I'm no longer getting tangled up in wires or having my earbuds fall out. So I am a happier runner. The kids are also back to school which may improve my mood on occasion. I love having them around but the lack of structure kills my type A personality at times.

I had all sorts of unexpected time this weekend thanks to the snow and ice. I was able to get Christmas all packed up and put away and I even finished cleaning out my desk that has been on my to do list for at least three years. This should make me extremely happy. I LOVE to check things off my list.

Instead I am all out of sorts. Unexpected time is not always my friend. For hyper feeling people such as myself this sometimes allows for extra time to dwell on the harsh word spoken, things I could be doing better, things I have left undone and my sweet friends I miss in India. It probably didn't help my mood that I was listening to John Legend singing about breaking my heart and came across letters that my Dad wrote me while he was alive. Phew. So, this is where I am supposed to be now? Are you sure Hawaii isn't where I am supposed to be now? That sounds much easier right at this moment.

So, I wrapped up my project, took a deep breath and texted my faithful friend Jenny who knew exactly what to say and had me laughing out loud within minutes. Where I am right now, my place on the map, feels hard at times. Parenting....really adulting in general, is HARD WORK. Sometimes we need a breather. Sometimes we need a friend like Jenny to remind us that we aren't alone and we are reading the right map - just maybe upside down. So, I am here now and tomorrow may be easier. Even if it's not, I am surrounded by love and that has to be enough.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing. Maps are forever changing but always fascinating to keep an eye on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. I hope our maps intersect again soon!

      Delete
  2. Parenting is the hardest work. I am currently hiding in the bathroom. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete