Monday, April 28, 2014

Perspective



I don’t really like working on weekends. Part of working at the hospital means working every other weekend. Sometimes it is fine and I don’t mind missing the rainy soccer games or the “what should we do now, mom?” Some weekends going to work seems like a break from routine. But, most of the time, I would rather be home on the weekend enjoying the kids games, family time and heck, attending church more regularly. Just last year the associate pastor asked me if I was new. I had been attending for five years. Of course he knew Michael and was probably thinking what a dedicated, committed single dad. Oh well.

Easter morning I really didn’t want to work but it was my turn. I grumpily threw on my scrubs and, because I have super early risers, was able to witness the Easter egg hunt before I left at 6:30 a.m. As I was driving in I had an Easter moment. If Christ could hang on the cross and die for me, I could probably muster the good will to go to a job I love, with coworkers I enjoy, even if it was a holiday. With my attitude slightly adjusted, and a latte, I arrived at the hospital more ready for the day.

Apparently Someone thought I needed even more perspective. One of my patients was roughly my age and just 24 hours prior had been leading a life not dissimilar from my own. Then pain that would not quit brought him in to the hospital and within a day he had surgery and a diagnosis that would be life-altering.  Even in the midst of his news he was pleasant and cooperative. Wow. And I was just grumpy that I had to go to a good paying, awesome job on Easter. Okay. Point taken. 

My patients continually remind me what it looks like to face adversity with faith and a hopeful spirit. It doesn’t always look pretty or clean but it is possible. I find this parenting, work/family balance, relationship thing hard. Really hard. Sometimes the challenges of it can get the best of me so it is nice to be reminded that sometimes I just need to step back and get some perspective. Working Easter wasn’t so bad after all – oh and the fact that my family came to the hospital and brought me my own Easter back with A LOT of chocolate helped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment