Thursday, March 22, 2012

Are you a Warrior?


I have been restless lately. Ironic since I don’t get much sleep working the night shift. I am a morning person normally so sleeping during the day isn’t work out so swell for me. But, for some reason, I have been restless this week. Maybe I am still adjusting to the fact that after 7 years of homework, I don’t have any. Maybe it has something to do with turning 40 this year. Maybe drinking 8 cups of coffee a day isn’t a good idea. I don’t really have a good answer.

I have been thinking about what I want to do for my 40th birthday. Normally I am not one for large groups and big celebrations but this year feels different. I feel pretty good about turning 40. I think I might make it past 80 so I am not quite ready to call this mid-life. The crisis will have to wait.

I told Michael I want to go back to Disneyland for my 40th. I love Disneyland. I know lots of people love Disneyland but I REALLY LOVE Disneyland. What better place to ring in 40? Then my kids caught wind of the plan and I started to realize that if I take my kids to Disneyland, there is really no way that it will be about me. Thinking otherwise is just plain foolish. I don’t have the heart to leave them behind (I did consider it) so, we will most likely be making the trek in October. I know it will be great fun but I am not going to settle for this as my 40th birthday celebration. They aren’t going to humor me and let me ride California Screamin’ over and over while they watch and clap. I have lived a good 40 years and I plan to celebrate it.

Then I saw this... Warrior Dash. This is what I want to do. Here is the catch…I want you to do it with me. When I get all sentimental and reflective I realize that I am most grateful for forty years of great friends, family and health. What better way to celebrate than to run, hurdle, jump and swim in the mud with friends? I did the Mud Run last year that benefited the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Oregon Chapter but, much to my dismay, they aren’t able to do it this year. I had SO much fun. There is nothing like it. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. This run looks similar and it’s in September. You don’t have to be a superhero to do this run. You just have to have a strong will, a good sense of humor and be willing to get dirty.

I am going to do it. I got a running friend to agree to do it with me when we were running through the slush this morning. I am going to hold her to it even though it was 5:30 in the morning and she probably wasn’t awake yet. Even if it is just the two of us, I am doing it. Join us. We can sign up for Saturday or Sunday, September 8 or 9th. Once I know who is doing it, we will vote on the day and time. I know this seems like a long ways off but some of you might want to train and others, like me, might need to plan ahead and make sure you aren't working that weekend.

After the run, you can come back to my house. I will hose you off and you can have some cake. I might not let you inside my house. Depends how muddy you are. If the cake isn't enticing enough, maybe the fuzzy warrior hat and free beer that you get at the race will do. If you have a medical note from your doctor and physically can’t do this race, come and cheer us on or just come for cake.

Come play in the mud with me. Let’s celebrate the fact that we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment